One of the common headaches I’ve come across is how to extract text out of visio. The obvious File -> Save as -> Text File is not available, nor is File -> Export -> Text File. I’ve even tried creating a Generic text-only printer and then printing to a file but to no avail 🙁
A few months ago I figured it out how to do it and then rapidly forgot again. I’ve found the solution again in a post by David Parker here so I’m posting it here as much to help myself out as anything else.
- Visio 2003 go to Tools -> Reports.
- Visio 2007 go to Data -> Reports.
- Visio 2010 Beta go to Review -> Share Reports. (Thanks Francisco)
These instructions are for Visio 2007.
- Make a new report and select Shapes on All pages or Shapes on the current page.
- Then select only <Displayed Text> (you may want to Show all properties to make sure nothing else is checked)
- Give it a Title e.g: Text Only Report
- Give it a Name e.g: Text_Only_Report
- Then select run and export it to either Excel, HTML, Visio Shape or XML
In the future when you want to extract text all you need to do is run Data -> Reports select Text_Only_Report and press Run.